WHAT IS HOLISTIC HEALTH?
Holistic health is frequently identified as a way of healing that looks at the complete person: body, mind, and spirit. This type of holistic healing often includes various complimentary treatments and alternative healthcare practices that can correspond with modern-day western medicine but will go beyond the singular treatment of symptoms to help more than just the body.
Several alternative healthcare practices that frequently are located within the scope of holistic health are:
- Energy work (reiki)
- Physical therapy
- Personal training
When all of these coinciding therapies unite collectively for holistic healing, a person is much more likely to feel wellness on a deeper level that allows for a more pleasant and genuinely healthy way of living.
Believers of holistic health consider that its importance branches from its philosophy of treating the body as a whole system in order to really attain top wellness in mind, body and spirit, rather than focusing on particular symptoms and just the part of the body affected.
The Importance Of Holistic Health
In today’s fast-paced society, people are often thought to be impaired by a nutrient-deficient diet of convenience foods, and the chemicals we might be exposed to within our environment. Modern healthcare might not be able to offer much in the way of treatment for ailments caused by our modern lifestyles, and therefore so many people are turning to holistic approaches to help us cope.
THE 5 ASPECTS OF HOLISTIC HEALTH: PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, SOCIAL, SPIRITUAL, AND MENTAL
Our physical health is what most people think about when they think of health. This is mostly because it is the physical body that often shows us physical signs and symptoms of either optimal or sub-optimal health. These physical signs and symptoms are also more easy to track and measure, versus other non-physical signs and symptoms that can feel more abstract.
When it comes to supporting your physical health there are few key practices that everyone can benefit from and can make a huge difference on your overall well-being:
- Sleep for 8 hours each night. This will allow your body to truly rest and repair from the day.
- Eat a nutrient dense diet that is high in plant-based foods and organic/pastured animal products.
- Maintain a balanced blood sugar by eating meals and snacks that contain fat, carbohydrates, and protein every 3-4 hours.
- Move your body for 30 minutes each day. While every person’s exercise routine will be different, everyone can benefit from at least 30 minutes of movement each day.
- Limit processed foods and hydrogenated oils which are highly inflammatory and can increase risk of chronic disease.
Our emotional health is just as important as our physical health — especially because our emotional health can affect our physical health if it is not prioritized.
Ways you can support your emotional health:
- Seek out therapy when needed. Therapy is an essential part of supporting our emotional health and should be utilized whenever necessary.
- Practice mindfulness and stress reduction habits that can help you better manage life’s daily stressors.
- Keep a journal to record your thoughts. Use your journal to record what you are grateful for as it can help bring positivity into times of stress.
Research has shown that the happiest people on earth have deep connections with their friends, family, and community. Relationships with others can provide a deep sense of community and encouragement.
Ways that you can support your social health:
- Make time for in-person connection. While technology has allowed for us to feel connected more, research has shown that virtual connection still does not provide us with the same level of happiness as in-person connection does.
- Get participating in your local community. This is one of the best ways you can support your social health and improve happiness.
- Set boundaries with people in your life that may increase stress or bring about toxic energy. Also do not be afraid to walk away from friendships and relationships that are negatively affecting your health.
Spiritual wellness does not necessarily mean that you need to become religious. Instead your spiritual health should focus on how you are connecting with your inner self, and the greater world around you.
Ways you can support your spiritual health:
- Spend time in nature
- Spend a few minutes each day meditating
The big difference between our mental and emotional health though is that while our emotional health refers mostly to our daily mood and emotions, our mental health refers to our cognitive abilities that affect how our brain functions.
Ways that you can support your mental health:
- Always keep your mind active by seeking out learning opportunities and problem solving practices that challenge your brain.
- Consume nutrient dense foods that are high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that will help reduce overall inflammation and support cognitive function.
- Improve gut health with gut healing foods like bone broth and prebiotic and probiotic rich foods. Since the brain is directly connected to the gut a healthy gut is essential for a healthy mind.
Holistic Health Is Relevant to Your Finances
To achieve financial wellness, you need to focus on the big picture. There are debts to pay off, big purchases (such as a home) to save for, an exhilarating retirement to plan, children and aging parents to assistance, and beyond. Creating a holistic financial plan helps you to combine multiple financial strategies to help you live your best life while still planning for the inevitabilities of the future.
Often, like in holistic medicine, it can be helpful to find a professional who specializes in this type of planning. You want to work with someone who acts as a partner in your financial health, someone who helps you to take a step back and see the big picture.
Article Curated By EarthyRealist.com Staff
- How Living More Economical Is Going To Help You Survive
- The 3 Survival Shopping Categories
- Money Rules For Successful People (Part 2)
- Money Rules For Successful People (Part 1)
- The 5 Most Recession Proof Industries